Welcome to our new puppy shopping guide! If you’re like us, you’re probably excitedly preparing for the arrival of your new furry friend. It’s important to start off on the right paw with your puppy, and one of the most essential aspects of their training is potty training. With our tips, we’re confident that you’ll be able to successfully potty train your puppy in just one week. So let’s dive in and get ready to welcome your new bundle of joy into your home!
As puppy owners, we know how exciting it is to bring home a furry bundle of joy. However, acquiring a new puppy comes with a lot of responsibilities, including proper training, grooming, feeding, and providing a safe environment. One of the most important tasks is potty training. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! We have compiled a new puppy shopping guide to help you set up your puppy for success in just one week.
Crate and Playpen
The first step to potty training your new puppy is to create a designated space for them. A crate and playpen will keep your puppy safe when you’re not watching over it. Make sure the crate or playpen is the right size for your puppy to avoid accidents. Also, select a waterproof and durable playpen made of non-toxic materials. Here are some of our recommendations:
- Precision Pet Two-Door Great Crate
- MidWest Homes for Pets Foldable Exercise Pen
- Pet Gear “The Other Door” 4 Door Steel Crate with Plush Bed
Dog Food and Toppers
Feeding your new puppy is crucial to ensure they remain healthy and strong. Your puppy needs a balanced diet with the right nutrients that aren’t synthetic. Here are a few of our top picks for dog food and toppers:
- Orijen Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Puppy Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe
- Stella & Chewy’s Meal Mixers
Tasty treats can help reinforce positive behavior in your puppy. We recommend getting soft, chewy treats that are easy to eat and digest. Here are some of our favorite picks:
- Zuke’s Mini Naturals Chicken Recipe Training Dog Treats
- Blue Buffalo Health Bars Puppy Biscuits
- Merrick Power Bites Real Texas Beef Recipe
Your new puppy will be full of energy, and stimulation toys are an excellent way to keep them busy and mentally stimulated. Here are our top picks:
- Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Interactive Puzzle Toy
- Nylabone Power Chew Dura Chew Textured Ring
- KONG Puppy Toy
Potty Training Essentials
The secret to successful potty training is consistency. You will need essential items like cleaning supplies, potty pads, and scent eliminators. Here are some must-haves for potty training your new puppy:
- Nature’s Miracle Stain And Odor Remover
- Four Paws Wee-Wee Puppy Training Pads
- Simple Solution Training Aid Spray
- What if my puppy doesn’t potty train in one week?
Every puppy is different, and some may take longer to learn than others. Be patient and consistent with the training process. If you notice no progress, consult with your vet or a professional dog trainer.
- Should I punish my puppy if they have an accident?
Punishing your puppy may not be helpful and will only cause confusion and stress. Instead, focus on positive reinforcement and redirecting your puppy when they show signs of wanting to go potty.
- Can I crate my puppy for extended periods?
Crating for too long can be harmful. It’s recommended to keep it to 2-4 hours intervals not more than that.
- When should I start potty training my puppy?
You can start by incorporating potty training into your routine once you bring your puppy home, usually around eight weeks old.
- What is the best way to potty train my puppy?
Consistency is the key to successful potty training. Create a routine, reward good behavior, supervise whenever possible, and be patient. Over time, your puppy will learn when and where it’s appropriate to go potty.
Potty training your new puppy can be challenging, but with the right tools and mindset, it’ll be worth it in the end. Stick to a routine, practice positive reinforcement, and utilize our new puppy shopping guide to ensure you and your furry friend a successful potty training experience.